We are SO SO happy to be back from our little break!
We’ll be posting soon about our first show and display booth from President’s Day Weekend. Until then, here is an item that we had in our inventory at the Bay Village Antiques & Vintage Show.
It is a fairly simple DIY / Up-cycling project. AND such a great idea…
How to upcycle a birdcage into a desk organizer
Karen found this old birdcage, you know where…on a tree lawn!
Karen stores many ideas in her brain (way too many for me to ever remember) so when she picked this birdcage up she knew she would make a desk organizer out of it.
- Spray paint
- Wooden dowel rods – you can buy dowel rods at hardware stores or local craft stores like Pat Catan’s
- Pieces of scrap wood / plywood. Or you can purchase a sheet at your local hardware store and they’ll cut the pieces to size for free – Karen has Bob, I have the lumber guy at Lowe’s
- Decorative items to embellish (flower, ribbon, etc)
- Staple gun, glue gun, wire cutters, hand saw
- Thoroughly clean the bird cage and remove the bottom pan. Spray paint the cage and let it dry overnight.
- Use wire cutters to cut openings on one side of the birdcage and remove the bottom pan. Leave the back and sides in tact.
- To create ledges for the wooden shelves cut the dowel rods to size and create a groove on the ends so the birdcage wire fits snugly into the grooves. Use glue (Gorilla Glue or a glue gun) to help secure the dowel rods to the wire
- Place your pieces of wood on top of the dowel rods, Karen painted the plywood white. You probably want to slide the plywood pieces into the birdcage before you add the dowel rods so you can fit the pieces of plywood into the cage
- Use a piece of wood to create a base for the organizer to sit on, we recommend a thicker piece of wood. The base can be attached with a staple gun.
- Add a decorative touch to the top with flowers, ribbon, etc.
The final result is a pretty way to organize and display your desk items!
Our friend Rochelle bought this desk organizer at last week’s show. She quickly took it home and sent us pictures of her newly organized desk items!
We love the way it looks!! Thanks, Ro!
Birdcage Desk Organizer (Sold)
Happy Salvaging! -Kathy & Karen